Monday, November 1, 2010

GF Week 4-- Baking: Attempt #1

Oct 25-Nov 1

I decided to make some cookies to bring to a Halloween party on Saturday so I'd have more goodies to enjoy. I found a very highly-rated recipe and carefully checked people's reviews & suggestions. I thought I did it perfectly, but for whatever reason the texture of the batter was strangely gooey. After 5 minutes in the oven, I peeked inside only to discover that the cookies had expanded into one giant cookie bar in the baking pan!

Nonetheless, I let them finish baking and figured I would cut them like brownies. Took my first bite and they melted into sugar and stuck to my teeth like taffy. Still tasted good, but definitely not quite right. Oh well. You have to start somewhere, right?

Talked to my aunt with Celiac yesterday. She told me she thinks it's fanatical to replace all my plastic storage containers and segregate them from gluten. She lives in a shared gluten household and said she has managed to get her antibodies from 800 to 3 and still uses shared cutting boards, utensils and storage containers (after they are run through the dishwasher). Even more exciting, she says she is super sensitive to gluten, but still doesn't have any issue with food that says it's made in "shared facilities" with wheat. I'm still trying to be strict for now, but it gives me hope that I'll be able to expand my foods after a while to include stuff like that.

It's still difficult stocking my kitchen with enough food to feel like I can have a substantial meal. Last night, I had a little meltdown because I was stressing about what to cook for the coming week. I spent an hour wandering the supermarket for stuff to buy and ended up making a huge salad with a big variety of ingredients, but then ate a bunch of it for dinner. So much for leftovers. Plus all that roughage is giving me stomachaches. Maybe more potatoes are in my future, at least till my gut heals more. The trouble is, I don't want to be too repetitive with my diet or I could develop food allergies. Oh gluten...such a journey. An adventure, right?

1 comment:

  1. Aw Shayna! You can do it!! Glad to hear your aunt is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete