Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 6

Friday, 9/17

I went lighter on gluten today. Had chicken teriyaki, which has gluten in the soy sauce, but otherwise tried to cut down.

I’ve been feeling sick every other day, if not more often. This is getting tiring. The GI office called and said the doc I scheduled to see next Thur for a consultation needs knee surgery that day.  Awesome.  I was tempted to tell them to make him crawl in to see me, for all I cared. I resisted the temptation and accepted an appointment with his assistant next Friday. The secretary who called was sympathetic when I told her about my situation, that I am eating gluten and feeling sick, but still refused to schedule an endoscopy before I actually show up at the office. Seriously though, this must be unethical to encourage your patients to hurt themselves with a substance you know is damaging them. I’ve come very close to calling my primary doc and asking her how important it is for me to eat gluten, but then I talk myself out of it. My sister pointed out that it’s sort of backwards for me… most people would cheat with gluten, but I want to cheat by cutting back on gluten. At least I’ll feel ready when I actually am supposed to cut it out.

At sundown, it's Yom Kippur and Avi will start fasting. On a holiday like this, I realized my life has started to resemble fasting as well. Since I keep getting indigestion during the day, I've been cutting back on eating lunch and having the bare minimum till I get home and have dinner. I think things have been worse than I realized... which is good because there's a lot of room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment